I decided to share my 31 day mental cleanse challenge!
Because it’s the perfect way to check in with yourself to see if your actions and intentions are aligned with who you say and think you are.
I’ve done a variation of this challenge every December for the last four years. I love it because it allows me to put things in perspective and plan for the new year at the same time.
I will re-cap my own results for the week every Saturday right here on the blog. If you decide to participate in the mental cleanse challenge, please hit me up in January! I want to know what you learned about yourself and what your word for 2018 is.
Love you, mean it.
31 Day Mental Cleanse
- Turn off all your cell phone’s push notifications for the entire day. Keep them off for the entire month, if ‘you really bout that’ mental detox life!
- Make a list of all the things you’re grateful for. List everything single thing you can think of.
- Go to bed 30 minutes early.
- Spend 20 minutes in the sunshine.
- Ask three close friends or family members to describe you in three words and have them text their responses to you.
- No social media platforms until noon.
- Wake up 10 minutes early and do guided meditation or practice deep breathing.
- Give a stranger a genuine compliment.
- Write a letter to yourself, dated one year from today’s date, and discuss all of the things you want for your life in great, vivid detail as if they’ve already happened.
- Call a friend or relative that you haven’t spoken to in a while.
- Instead of watching TV or scrolling through social media this evening, watch a TED Talk, listen to a podcast or read a book.
- Unfollow, unfriend social media accounts that don’t provide inspiration or laughter. Also, nix the ones that make you feel like you need to be anything other than yourself.
- No cell phone use during all meals today.
- While standing in the mirror this morning think about something kind to say to yourself. Repeat it until you've completed whatever task required you to stand in the mirror.
- Invite an acquaintance or potential mentor for coffee or lunch. This should be someone that can pour into you in some way. They have a beautiful spirit, a story to tell, knowledge, lessons, tips or insight to share with you.
- Declutter or clean out an area of your home you’ve been avoiding.
- Do nothing today. And, enjoy it.
- Smile at every person you come in contact with today.
- Make a list of your proudest moments of the year.
- Clear out that inbox! Delete messages, organize others into folders if necessary, and unsubscribe from unwanted newsletters.
- Charge your phone in any room but your bedroom tonight.
- Get ready for the next day before you go to bed and sit a glass of water near your bed.
- Drink a glass of water before your feet hit the ground to get out of bed to start your day.
- No internet today.
- Absolutely no complaining today. About anything.
- Forgive someone and let it go. Make a conscious effort to avoid discussing the situation and/or the individual after today.
- Read the letter you wrote on the 9th day of the challenge and determine whether you’re already doing what’s necessary for those things. If the answer is no, write honestly about what you’re doing/not doing that is holding you back. If yes, choose one word to describe your intentions of achieving the things in your letter and list actions to go along with it. Ex: My word for 2017 was discipline and some of the actions I listed were: develop a morning routine; spend more time riding in the car listening to podcasts for bloggers or listening to an audiobook than listening to music; figure out which tasks can be delegated to Spencer so I can focus on other things.
- If the answer to day 27’s question was no, go back and complete the same step as the individuals that said yes. Now take your list and place it in a spot you will see every day.
- Take a detox bath with Epsom or Pink Himalyan salt, and lavender and lemon essential oils.
- Sit in a quiet place with your eyes closed for about five minutes. Visualize with great detail the things you want to see in your career, relationships, home life and health. Speak out loud and very matter of fact, if you need to.
- Plan a vacation for the second half of 2018.